Coronavirus Investigation: US Supports Australia’s Probe, Trump Blames China For ‘Mass Worldwide Killing’

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed that the United States supports Australia’s bid for an independent investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus.
At a press conference in Washington Wednesday (Thursday AEST), Pompeo blasted China for threatening retaliation against Canberra over its plans to initiate a COVID-19 probe. Chinese Ambassador to Australia Cheng Jingye in April said the Chinese public may avoid using Australian products and universities because of this move. The country also hit barley producers with tariffs while also banning several beef imports.
The motion to establish a review of the pandemic has passed the World Health Assembly by unanimous vote last week. It will look into the coronavirus’ origins as well as international response. China co-sponsored the resolution.
Pompeo said the Communist Party’s move to threaten with “economic retribution" is "not right." He also noted that China has "been ruled by a brutal, authoritarian regime."
"We stand with Australia and the more than 120 nations now who have taken up the American call for an inquiry into the origins of the virus, so we can understand what went wrong and save lives now, and in the future," Pompeo said.
"We greatly underestimated the degree to which Beijing is ideologically and politically hostile to free nations … The whole world is waking up to that fact."
President Donald Trump’s perception of China has also soured the past weeks. In January, the president praised Chinese President Xi Jinping for his “efforts and transparency” in fighting COVID-19. Since then, Trump has blasted the country for its failed response and seemingly hiding data bout the virus.
China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 24, 2020
On Wednesday, Trump again attacked the Communist Party, blaming its “incompetence” for the “mass worldwide killing.” As of May 21, 11:13 a.m. AEST, there are 5,084.932 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the world and a global death toll of 329,719.
Some wacko in China just released a statement blaming everybody other than China for the Virus which has now killed hundreds of thousands of people. Please explain to this dope that it was the “incompetence of China”, and nothing else, that did this mass Worldwide killing!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 20, 2020